Skip to main content

Historian

  • This building on Main Avenue in Wynantskill had been the site of many
    restaurants and a liquor store over the years.
  • John Kruczlnicki of Hidley Road delivered milk to the doorsteps
    of his 300 customers twice a week for over thirty five years.
  • A daisy field is the foreground for an early 20th century view of Snyders
    Lake. Note that only a few summer cottages existed at this time.
  • The Wynantskill Toll Gate s located on the north side of Route 66 just
    past Sharpe Road. The gate is gone, but the house still exists.
  • The Bloomingrove School began in this building in 1809 and was
    in use until the 1940’s. Now it run as a CPA business.
  • This aerial view of Cooley Motors was taken shortly after the business opened
    in 1965. Originally Cooley sold only Volkswagens but since added the Mazda line.
  • This artist’s depiction of the Philip Defreest house was built in the 1760’s and
    now serves as the Administration Office for R.P.I’s Technology Center.
  • The old parsonage of the Bloomingrove Reformed Church in Defreestville
    was built in 1831. The building was replaced by the current parsonage in 1962.
  • The Wynantskill Fire Department’s C. Ronald Wilson
    served 13 years as fire chief.
  • This late 1800’s photo of Main Avenue depicts
    Wynantskill looking west.
  • Father Thomas Tooher pictured overlooking St Jude’s Church and grounds in
    Wynantskill set up for the annual St. Jude’s Horse Show which ran from 1952-1965.
  • Defreestville’s Little Red
    School House in 1945.
  • This dairy farm located along Rte.43, was one of the most prosperous dairies
    in the late 19th and 20th centuries.
  • Trolleys were the method of travel from
    Troy and Wynantskill to Snyders
    Lake from 1896-1925.
  • The David Defreest House on Jordan Road in Defreestville is on the
    National Register of Historic Places.
  • Built in 1793, this house was the home of John E. Van Alen, our
    first Congressman in the 1790’s.
  • The Matthew Van Alstyne House, a Second Empire structure with a
    three-story tower was built around 1875.
  • This 1906 postcard of Snyders Lake depicts depicts a typical summertime scene.
Contact Info:

Jim Greenfield, Town Historian

Phone:
518-283-6384


Bloomingrove School building
Currently, the old Bloomingrove School is
being used by a CPA for his tax business.

Duties of Town Historian

To preserve, collect and disseminate local historical information and to foster an interest and appreciation of our town’s history by the public.


North Greenbush Notes:

North Greenbush Notes are a compilation of articles written by Town Historian Jim Greenfield that show a brief glimpse of North Greenbush at its founding. The articles are published periodically in “The Advertiser.” If anyone has ideas for future columns, please contact Jim Greenfield at 283‑6384 or by email.

Click here to view past North Greenbush Notes